<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>        <rss version="2.0"
             xmlns:atom="http://www.w3.org/2005/Atom"
             xmlns:dc="http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.1/"
             xmlns:sy="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/syndication/"
             xmlns:admin="http://webns.net/mvcb/"
             xmlns:rdf="http://www.w3.org/1999/02/22-rdf-syntax-ns#"
             xmlns:content="http://purl.org/rss/1.0/modules/content/">
        <channel>
            <title>
									Hardening NanoClaw Deployments - openclawsecurity.net Forum				            </title>
            <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/</link>
            <description>openclawsecurity.net Discussion Board</description>
            <language>en-US</language>
            <lastBuildDate>Tue, 29 Sep 2026 16:49:08 +0000</lastBuildDate>
            <generator>wpForo</generator>
            <ttl>60</ttl>
							                    <item>
                        <title>Container won&#039;t start after adding all suggested Linux capability drops.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/container-wont-start-after-adding-all-suggested-linux-capability-drops/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 15 Jul 2026 09:59:44 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Followed the NanoClaw hardening guide. Dropped all capabilities in my deployment spec. Now the container crashes on startup.

Logs show a permission error, but it&#039;s vague. Probably the init ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Followed the NanoClaw hardening guide. Dropped all capabilities in my deployment spec. Now the container crashes on startup.

Logs show a permission error, but it's vague. Probably the init process or a binary inside the image needs something.

Here's the relevant part of my spec:

```yaml
securityContext:
  runAsNonRoot: true
  runAsUser: 1000
  capabilities:
    drop:
      - ALL
  seccompProfile:
    type: RuntimeDefault
```

The guide says drop ALL. That's clearly wrong. What's the actual minimum set needed? Not interested in "try adding NET_BIND_SERVICE back." I want the definitive list.

Show me the code.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Marcus Chen</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/container-wont-start-after-adding-all-suggested-linux-capability-drops/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Am I the only one who thinks the default logging level exposes way too much data?</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/am-i-the-only-one-who-thinks-the-default-logging-level-exposes-way-too-much-data/</link>
                        <pubDate>Mon, 13 Jul 2026 12:00:07 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey all, been running NanoClaw in a staging environment for a few weeks now and the logging is... intense. I&#039;m pulling down gigs of logs daily, and a lot of it seems like internal debug chat...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey all, been running NanoClaw in a staging environment for a few weeks now and the logging is... intense. I'm pulling down gigs of logs daily, and a lot of it seems like internal debug chatter that shouldn't be flying around in production.

Why not just set the default to `WARNING` or even `ERROR`? The `INFO` level seems to capture every single tool call, intermediate step, and API handshake. For example, I'm seeing full prompt/response cycles for simple RAG queries and the complete JSON payloads for every external API call the agent makes. That's a huge PII and key exposure risk if these logs get shipped to a central system, right?

I get that verbose logs are great for debugging during development, but for a hardened deployment, this feels like the opposite of secure by default. Am I missing a config flag somewhere, or is everyone just accepting this and writing custom log filters?

My current workaround is a custom logging config in Python that overrides the third-party libraries, but that's fragile and feels like I'm fighting the framework:
- Override loggers for `langchain`, `openai`, `httpx`
- Set them all to `WARNING`
- Add a filter to scrub certain key patterns from any remaining `INFO` entries

Isn't this something that should be baked into the `production` profile of the Helm chart or the Docker image? Curious how others are handling it.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Bob Hardcase</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/am-i-the-only-one-who-thinks-the-default-logging-level-exposes-way-too-much-data/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Showcase: My Terraform module for a secure EKS cluster just for NanoClaw agents.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/showcase-my-terraform-module-for-a-secure-eks-cluster-just-for-nanoclaw-agents/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sun, 12 Jul 2026 20:01:06 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey everyone! Been trying to deploy NanoClaw agents on AWS EKS and kept getting overwhelmed by all the security configs. So I built a Terraform module to handle it.

It sets up a private EKS...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey everyone! Been trying to deploy NanoClaw agents on AWS EKS and kept getting overwhelmed by all the security configs. So I built a Terraform module to handle it.

It sets up a private EKS cluster with locked-down IAM roles, node security groups that only allow necessary traffic, and the AWS EBS CSI driver with encryption enabled by default. Also auto-enables guard duty and container insights.

I'm still new to Kubernetes security policies though. Does this base setup seem okay for a NanoClaw deployment? Or am I missing something obvious for restricting the agents' permissions inside the pods themselves? Still figuring out PodSecurityAdmissions...

Here's the repo link if you want to check it out: . Would love any feedback!]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Ray Castillo</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/showcase-my-terraform-module-for-a-secure-eks-cluster-just-for-nanoclaw-agents/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Anyone else having issues with the container&#039;s seccomp profile blocking required syscalls?</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/anyone-else-having-issues-with-the-containers-seccomp-profile-blocking-required-syscalls/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 11 Jul 2026 19:01:47 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hi everyone,

I&#039;m working on setting up NanoClaw in a production-like environment on my home lab (using Docker on Debian 12). I&#039;m following the hardening guides, and I&#039;ve been trying to appl...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hi everyone,

I'm working on setting up NanoClaw in a production-like environment on my home lab (using Docker on Debian 12). I'm following the hardening guides, and I've been trying to apply a restrictive seccomp profile. I'm using the default Docker one for `runtime/default` with most syscalls dropped, just like the docs suggest for maximum isolation.

The problem is, after applying the stricter profile, my nanoclaw container fails to start properly. The logs show permission errors that look like syscalls are being blocked. The container starts, but the agent inside seems to hang and doesn't respond to tasks.

I suspect some required syscalls for the underlying tooling (maybe for the capability system or network sandboxing) are missing from my allowed list. Has anyone else run into this?

Could someone point me to a known-working seccomp profile for a production NanoClaw deployment? Or maybe list which syscalls are absolutely essential? I'm not sure where the line is between being secure and breaking functionality.

Here's the security section of my docker-compose file I'm testing with:

```yaml
security_opt:
  - seccomp=./seccomp-profile.json
  - no-new-privileges:true
cap_drop:
  - ALL
cap_add:
  - CHOWN
  - SETUID
  - SETGID
  - NET_BIND_SERVICE
read_only: true
```

My `seccomp-profile.json` is basically the Docker default with a few extra syscalls I guessed might be needed, like `futex`, `epoll_wait`, and `eventfd2`. But I'm clearly still missing something.

Any guidance on how to debug this systematically would be super helpful. Should I be running strace inside the container, or is there a better way?

thanks - Jay]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Jay Kim</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/anyone-else-having-issues-with-the-containers-seccomp-profile-blocking-required-syscalls/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Hot take: The &#039;allow_networking&#039; tool flag should be false by default.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/hot-take-the-allow_networking-tool-flag-should-be-false-by-default/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 11 Jul 2026 02:01:07 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Here&#039;s the problem: we&#039;re shipping a security tool with a feature that, by default, opens a door we then have to spend time and policy finding and closing. The `allow_networking` flag for to...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Here's the problem: we're shipping a security tool with a feature that, by default, opens a door we then have to spend time and policy finding and closing. The `allow_networking` flag for tools like the package scanner and the config validator is a prime example.

It's convenient for development and demos, letting a tool fetch rules or vulnerability databases on the fly. But in a production NanoClaw deployment, that outbound call is a liability. It creates an implicit dependency on an external service's availability and integrity. It leaks metadata about your scan triggers and frequency. It's a potential egress path if the tool itself is ever compromised.

Defaulting this to `false` forces the right conversation during setup:
*   What external resources does this tool actually need?
*   How do we vet and pin those resources (e.g., hosting a local copy of the vulnerability database)?
*   How do we explicitly define and monitor the network egress policy for the tool's pod or container?

This isn't about removing capability. It's about shifting from "allow unless blocked" to "block unless explicitly allowed." The current default treats the production environment like a dev sandbox. It adds operational risk and muddies the compliance picture for frameworks that require strict egress control.

Change the default. Let the people who need the convenience for testing explicitly set `allow_networking: true`. The rest of us deploying in actual locked-down environments won't have to discover and correct this unnecessary risk after the fact.

-- mark]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Mark O&#039;Brien</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/hot-take-the-allow_networking-tool-flag-should-be-false-by-default/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Error: &#039;Permission denied&#039; when trying to write to a tmpfs volume I mounted.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/error-permission-denied-when-trying-to-write-to-a-tmpfs-volume-i-mounted/</link>
                        <pubDate>Fri, 10 Jul 2026 00:01:07 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey everyone,

Ran into a classic one while hardening a NanoClaw deployment on IronClaw 4.2. I&#039;ve mounted a `tmpfs` volume for a container&#039;s temporary data, aiming to isolate it from the hos...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey everyone,

Ran into a classic one while hardening a NanoClaw deployment on IronClaw 4.2. I've mounted a `tmpfs` volume for a container's temporary data, aiming to isolate it from the host filesystem. The mount itself works, but the application inside the container throws a `Permission denied` when trying to write to it.

Here's the relevant snippet from my Ansible task for the mount:

```yaml
- name: Mount tmpfs for secure scratch space
  ansible.posix.mount:
    path: /opt/nanoclaw/secure_tmp
    src: tmpfs
    fstype: tmpfs
    opts: "nosuid,nodev,noexec,size=256M"
    state: mounted
```

The directory `/opt/nanoclaw/secure_tmp` is created by the playbook with `0750` permissions, owned by `root:root`. The container runtime (we're using `containerd` with `crun`) is configured to map the container's internal user (`appuser`, UID 1001) to the host's same UID.

My hypothesis: It's a classic mismatch between the host directory ownership and the container user's UID, even though they're numerically the same. The `noexec` and `nodev` are fine, but the kernel might be checking the host-side ownership before the container user is even considered.

**What I've tried:**
* Confirmed UID 1001 exists on the host (it's a system user for the service).
* Changed the mount point's ownership to `1001:1001` on the host → writes work, but this feels wrong from a host hardening perspective.
* Tried adding `uid=1001,gid=1001` to the `opts` of the tmpfs mount → this actually solved it! But I'm not sure if it's the *correct* hardening approach.

My main question: **What's the most secure way to allow a specific container user to write to a host-mounted `tmpfs`?**

Should we:
1. Set the `uid/gid` in the tmpfs mount options (seems clean, confines it to the mount)?
2. Create a dedicated user namespace for the container and map UIDs accordingly (more complex, but more isolated)?
3. Something else with `podman`/`crun` security flags I'm missing?

I want to keep the host's `root` ownership of the mount point directory itself for audit trails. Sharing config diffs and `ls -laZ` output below.

- Max]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Maxime Dupont</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/error-permission-denied-when-trying-to-write-to-a-tmpfs-volume-i-mounted/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>I wrote a small script to check all tool definitions for dangerous permission combos.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/i-wrote-a-small-script-to-check-all-tool-definitions-for-dangerous-permission-combos/</link>
                        <pubDate>Sat, 04 Jul 2026 02:01:10 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey folks. I&#039;ve been spending more time with NanoClaw in my home lab, specifically looking at how we define tools for the agents. The more I play with it, the more I realize it&#039;s way too eas...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey folks. I've been spending more time with NanoClaw in my home lab, specifically looking at how we define tools for the agents. The more I play with it, the more I realize it's way too easy to accidentally give a tool combination of permissions that could let a misbehaving agent do some real damage, especially in a self-hosted, internet-facing scenario.

I ended up writing a small Python script that parses your `tool_definitions.yaml` (or similar) and flags dangerous patterns. It's not a full static analyzer, but it catches the obvious stuff. The core idea is to look for tools that, when combined, could lead to things like:
* Arbitrary code execution (e.g., `shell` access plus `file_write` in a sensitive directory)
* Privilege escalation (e.g., ability to modify agent config or systemd units)
* Data exfiltration (e.g., `database_query` plus `network_access` without constraints)

Here's the basic version I started with. It loads definitions and checks against a simple rule set.

```python
#!/usr/bin/env python3
import yaml
import sys

# Define dangerous permission combos (tool_name: )
RISKY_COMBOS = {
    "execute_shell_command": ,
    "write_file": ,
    "query_database": ,
}

def check_tool_definitions(filepath):
    with open(filepath, 'r') as f:
        tools = yaml.safe_load(f)

    tool_names = [tool for tool in tools]
    found_issues = []

    for primary_tool, risky_companions in RISKY_COMBOS.items():
        if primary_tool in tool_names:
            for risky in risky_companions:
                if risky in tool_names:
                    found_issues.append(f"Combo: '{primary_tool}' + '{risky}'")

    return found_issues

if __name__ == "__main__":
    issues = check_tool_definitions(sys.argv)
    if issues:
        print("Potential risky permission combinations found:")
        for issue in issues:
            print(f"  - {issue}")
        sys.exit(1)
    else:
        print("No obvious dangerous combos found.")
```

You'd run it like `python3 check_tools.py ./config/tool_definitions.yaml`. The rule set (`RISKY_COMBOS`) is the most important part to expand for your own deployment. Think about the zero-trust principle: if an agent gets compromised, what tools could be chained together to break out of its intended scope?

This is a first pass. It could be enhanced to understand scopes (like file paths for write operations) or integrate into a CI/CD pipeline. For now, it's a simple sanity check before you deploy. I'm curious what dangerous combos others have thought of, or if you've built similar checks into your NanoClaw hardening process.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Omar H.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/i-wrote-a-small-script-to-check-all-tool-definitions-for-dangerous-permission-combos/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>My take: The real security risk isn&#039;t the runtime, it&#039;s the poorly written tools we let it run.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/my-take-the-real-security-risk-isnt-the-runtime-its-the-poorly-written-tools-we-let-it-run/</link>
                        <pubDate>Thu, 02 Jul 2026 03:01:16 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[The focus on sandbox escape is important, but it&#039;s a last line of defense. The primary attack surface is the application code you run *inside* the container. A vulnerable `curl` invocation, ...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[The focus on sandbox escape is important, but it's a last line of defense. The primary attack surface is the application code you run *inside* the container. A vulnerable `curl` invocation, a shell script using unsanitized input, or a tool with a forgotten setuid bit provides a direct path to host compromise, even with a perfect seccomp policy.

Consider a common pattern in build containers: a tool needs to mount a tmpfs. The threat isn't the container runtime allowing the `mount` syscall; it's the tool's logic that determines *what* is mounted and *where*. A flawed tool can be tricked into mounting over `/etc/passwd` or `/proc/sys/kernel/core_pattern`.

The real work is in the Dockerfile and the entrypoint scripts. Example: this seccomp profile diff blocks the `mount` syscall entirely for a container that shouldn't need it, but the larger fix was removing the vulnerable tool version.

```json
{
  "names": ,
  "action": "SCMP_ACT_ERRNO",
  "args": [],
  "comment": "Tooling was fixed to not require mounts; this is a failsafe."
}
```

Hardening the deployment means auditing every binary and script for logic flaws, not just layering on runtime restrictions after the fact.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Li Chen</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/my-take-the-real-security-risk-isnt-the-runtime-its-the-poorly-written-tools-we-let-it-run/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Hot take: If your NanoClaw can reach the public internet, you&#039;ve already failed.</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/hot-take-if-your-nanoclaw-can-reach-the-public-internet-youve-already-failed/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 01 Jul 2026 15:59:58 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Okay, hear me out. I&#039;ve been reading all the hardening guides about slimming containers and tightening permissions, which is great. But doesn&#039;t the biggest risk start the second the agent ca...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Okay, hear me out. I've been reading all the hardening guides about slimming containers and tightening permissions, which is great. But doesn't the biggest risk start the second the agent can make its own outbound calls?

If NanoClaw can just... call out to some API or website we didn't predict, isn't that game over? It could exfiltrate data, pull in malicious code, or get tricked by some weird external prompt.

So my (maybe dumb) question: Shouldn't the first and most important rule be "No outbound internet, period"? Like, airgap it from the start, and only allow specific, internal tool calls. Am I being too paranoid? How do you even enforce that in practice?]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Maya S.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/hot-take-if-your-nanoclaw-can-reach-the-public-internet-youve-already-failed/</guid>
                    </item>
				                    <item>
                        <title>Why is my agent failing after I set no-new-privileges to true?</title>
                        <link>https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/why-is-my-agent-failing-after-i-set-no-new-privileges-to-true/</link>
                        <pubDate>Wed, 01 Jul 2026 07:00:24 +0000</pubDate>
                        <description><![CDATA[Hey folks. I&#039;ve been working on hardening my NanoClaw agents in Proxmox LXC containers, following the principle of least privilege. One of the first things I set was `no-new-privileges: true...]]></description>
                        <content:encoded><![CDATA[Hey folks. I've been working on hardening my NanoClaw agents in Proxmox LXC containers, following the principle of least privilege. One of the first things I set was `no-new-privileges: true` in the agent's configuration, aiming to prevent any privilege escalation within the container.

After a restart, the agent consistently fails to start. The logs aren't super verbose, but I'm seeing a permission denied error when it tries to execute its internal health check. Everything else—user, group, bind mounts—looks correct.

Here's my thinking and what I've checked so far:
*   The agent runs as a dedicated, unprivileged user (`uid 1000`) within the container.
*   The binary and its data directory are owned by that user.
*   I'm not using any setuid or setgid bits on anything in its path.
*   The container itself is unprivileged and has the agent's filesystem mounted with `nobuildid`.

My current hypothesis is that the agent, or perhaps a tool/library it depends on, is attempting a legitimate operation that's being blocked by `no-new-privileges`. I know some software uses capabilities or needs to spawn subprocesses in specific ways that this setting can interfere with.

Has anyone else run into this? Is there a specific capability the NanoClaw agent needs to drop gracefully, or is this a known limitation? I'd like to keep the setting enabled if possible—it's a great hardening knob.]]></content:encoded>
						                            <category domain="https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/">Hardening NanoClaw Deployments</category>                        <dc:creator>Mike D.</dc:creator>
                        <guid isPermaLink="true">https://openclawsecurity.net/community/nanoclaw-hardening/why-is-my-agent-failing-after-i-set-no-new-privileges-to-true/</guid>
                    </item>
							        </channel>
        </rss>
		